The John M. Belk Impact Fellowship program:
- Exposes current college students attending North Carolina colleges and universities to the inner workings of nonprofit organizations across the state.
- Presents Impact Fellows with a diverse cohort of peers interested in advancing educational equity for all North Carolinians.
- Affords participants the opportunity to engage with thought leaders in the social impact space via a regularly scheduled speaker series.
- Promotes pathways and establishes networks for future opportunities in the sector.
The primary focus of the John M. Belk Impact Fellowship is to create a disruptive force for social justice, providing hands on experience in the social impact space to current college students to support the development of the next generation of leaders.
Impact Fellows are engaged in a wide array of learning experiences, including:
- Ownership of far reaching and high impact projects at a diverse array of nonprofit host organizations.
- Hands on skill building in functional areas in the nonprofit space including philanthropy, program management, finance and operations, communications and marketing, and research and evaluation.
- Mentoring and coaching provided by The Hunt Institute.
- Professional development via workshops and speakers.
2021-2022 Host Organizations
- March 15, 2021 – Application Opens
- May 28, 2021 @ 11:59pm – Applications Due
- August 23, 2021 – Fellowship Start Date
- May 27, 2022 – Fellowship End Date
- June 6, 2022 – Closing Ceremony
How many Fellows will be accepted?
For each cohort, we expect to select 12-15 Impact Fellows.
How many hours will I be expected to complete each week at my host site placement?
- Students should be able to commit at least 11 hours a week.
- Additional hours can be worked above that minimum, up to but not to exceed 15 hours per week.
What exactly will I be doing? What will my time at my placement look like?
Impact Fellows work on a variety of projects, from policy briefs and research, to social media efforts and quantitative analysis. We match Impact Fellows based on the needs of the host organizations and the skills and interests of the prospective Fellow. No two experiences are alike.
Is this a paid internship?
Yes. Impact Fellows are paid $15/hour.
Where will I be placed?
Placements are determined after reviewing the needs of our host organizations and the professional aspirations of prospective Fellows.
What is the relationship between The Hunt Institute and the John M. Belk Endowment?
The Hunt Institute is a grantee of the John M. Belk Endowment and serves as administrator for this Fellowship.
I have a question that is not addressed here, who can I contact?
For any questions related to the Impact Fellowship, please contact Milagro Chavez-Cisneros at firstname.lastname@example.org.